I’ve tried a few brands and types of dryer sheets and decided to review them all together so you can compare. I’m basing my critiques on 3 criteria: effectiveness, “green”ness, and affordability.
Honest Dryer Cloths
$6.95 for 32 sheets (each cloth can be used twice)
- Effectiveness: The cloths are very effective at removing static and making my clothes soft. The fragrance is really nice but not overwhelming.
- Greenness: Like all Honest products, the cloths are free of SLS, fragrance, dyes, phosphates, 1,4-dioxane, chlorine, DEA, formaldehyde, and caustics and they are biodegradable, hypoallergenic, non-toxic, pH neutral, and vegan.
- Affordability: These sheet are pretty price, but you can use each cloth twice, so theoretically you get 64 loads in each package.
- Other: The cloths are pre-moistened. I really like this feature because I sometimes fluff my hang-dry clothes in the dryer, and this moisture creates a little steam that works to remove wrinkles.
Seventh Generation Natural Fabric Softener Sheets
$4.99 for 80 sheets
- Effectiveness: The sheets didn’t make a big difference. It got rid of static but didn’t seem to soften my clothes.
- Greenness: These sheets are unbleached, recyclable, biodegradable, and processed without chemicals containing chlorine; USDA Certified Biobased Product.
- Affordability: These are SUPER affordable.
- Other: They’re are made of unbleached paper, so you can compost them after they’ve been through the dryer.
Mrs. Meyer’s Dryer Sheets
$7.99 for 80 sheets
- Effectiveness: These sheets are moderately effective. My clothes didn’t have static, and they felt a little softer. The basil fragrance is lovely out of the box but doesn’t last on your clothes.
- Greenness: They are 99% naturally derived and free of phthalates, formaldehyde, artificial colors, parabens, and animal derived ingredients.
- Affordability: These sheets are on the expensive side.
Method Dryer-Activated Fabric Softener
$7.99 for 1 spray bottle (100 loads)
- Effectiveness: This spray works really well at softening my clothes and getting rid of static. The fresh air fragrance is pleasant and lasts on your clothes.
- Greenness: Like all Method products, the spray is free of ammonia, phthalates, chlorine, parabens, phosphates, and animal derived ingredients. And because there’s no sheet, there’s nothing to go in the landfill, and the bottle is recyclable.
- Affordability: Not the most expensive but not the cheapest.
- Other: To use, you can spray directly into the dryer once you’re clothes are in. I like to get a microfiber cloth damp, spray that instead, and throw it in the dryer. Alternatively, if you use those wool dryer balls you can spray them.